Wednesday, July 29, 2009

All Quiet on the Eastern Front

Not really much new to report over the past nine days. It’s hard to believe it’s been nine days since my last post, which is a good thing in that the days are indeed going by. I’ve started to receive some of your care packages, so thanks very much for that. It’s always nice to get things from home and if you do plan on sending something, don’t worry so much about what you put in the packages, it’s just nice to get things from home. It’s nice to get things you can use, but it’s also nice to get things as simple as notes. As weird as it sounds, written sentiment still holds a lot of meaning out here, even in the age of email, blogs, Facebook, etc.

The weather is holding true with clear skies and temps into the 120’s. We’re about to head out of July and into August, which means it’s either going to cool down or warm up as the summer will peak before descending into fall. Fall could be my favorite season for no other reason then it stops getting hot outside. The colors and clarity are also unparalleled, and it means the start of hockey season, football season and baseball’s postseason. A time where legends are made and new campaigns are begun. For a sports fan there is no better time.

I still haven’t found out anything about my mid-tour leave. I was asked what country I would be visiting yesterday though, and I was one of a handful that said they were returning to the United States. If I’m going to go vacationing in Europe, Dubai or the South Pacific I’d rather do it in the obscurity of a private citizen, than with the guilty conscious which accompanies one temporary leaving their mission in a combat zone. Home is where we all irrevocably belong, and that’s where I’ll be going.

Thanks again to all who’ve sent me care packages I have received or have yet to receive, and for checking out the blog.

Until next time,

-DM

1 comment:

  1. Tracy Military Moms sent you a package on 7/22. I hope you have received it by now.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete